Monday, November 5, 2007

It’s sad when this has become a “Pledge” among pastors across the land. If you’re wondering what I’m referring to, just take a look at this new pledge that pastors across the globe are signing to:

• I will make the Bible my primary resource in sermon preparation and preaching.
• I may use other resources such as commentaries and web sites to enhance, not replace, my personal interaction with Scripture.
• As I study I will strive to accurately understand and honestly apply God's Word, allowing Him to uniquely proclaim His truth in a relevant way through me.

Shouldn’t that be our job anyway? Who says we have to make a pledge to each other? Shouldn’t 2 Timothy 4:1 instill enough fear in each preacher?

2 Timothy 4:1-2 I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: 2 preach the word;

With all this to say, however, I am encouraged to hear that men across the nation are gathering together to stay faithful to God's Word in sermon preparation and sermon delivery -- let's pray that this pledge is kept and not broken. Soli Deo Gloria.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!