Saturday, March 27, 2010

God has laid it on my heart recently that the Christian life is not primarily consisting of quick, one-time, brief decisions. I'm utterly convinced that the Christian life requires a lifetime (ongoing habitual, persistent) pursuit of Christlikeness. Let me explain.

Many can say, "I believed" and "I confessed Jesus as Lord" but this is a quick one-time statement. The real evidence and fruit of that statement is 'proven' over the course of time—over the long haul.

Or similarly, many can fall into sin (regardless of what it is) and then come to the pastor and say, "I repent;" "I will change." But this 'confession' is proven genuine over the long haul; of the course of time as that person continually refrains from that sin and continues to hate that sin and loathe the sinful nature and sinful temptations and fly to Christ when those fleshly temptations arise again.

In other words, don't be deceived by quick, one-time, spur-of-the-moment Christian decisions. I believe God's Word clearly reveals (throughout!) that the Christian life is not a matter of one-time decisions but a lifestyle and a lifetime and a long and persistent pursuit of Christ and holiness.

Without holiness, no one will see the LORD. Therefore, heed the words of our Savior:

Matthew 7:14 τί στενὴ ἡ πύλη καὶ τεθλιμμένη ἡ ὁδὸς ἡ ἀπάγουσα εἰς τὴν ζωὴν καὶ ὀλίγοι εἰσὶν οἱ εὑρίσκοντες αὐτήν. ("The gate is small and the path is narrow that leads to the life and there are a few who find it.")
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!