Friday, December 31, 2010

Though Blessed Spirit, Author of all grace and comfort, Come, work repentance in my soul; Represent sin to me in its odious colours that I may hate it; Melt my heart by the majesty and mercy of God; Show me my ruined self and the help there is in Him;

Teach me to behold my creator,
His ability to save, His arms outstretched, His heart big for me.

May I confide in His power and love,
Commit my soul to Him without reserve, Bear His image, observe His laws, pursue His service, And be through time and eternity A monument to the efficacy of His grace, A trophy of His victory.

I love these Puritan prayers. They reveal the bigness of God, the heinousness of sin, and commitment to holiness. I long that I may pray more in this fashion and that other pastors may model this kind of prayer for the people in the churches.

Let us remember what this Puritan prayed:

1. Work repentance in my soul (again!),
2. Represent sin in all its odious colours that I may hate (yes hate) it,
3. Teach me to behold my great God and Creator,
4. Cause me to confide in His power and love
5. Make me a trophy of His grace and of His victory.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!